Position: Director of Children and Family Ministries
Reports to: Clergy and Staff-Parish Relations Team
Summary: Work alongside clergy, staff and lay-persons to guide, facilitate and grow the FUMC Children’s Ministry from a solid foundation toward its very thriving potential.
- Overall responsibility for ministry to children from birth through 6th grade.
- Supervise, lead, support, equip and empower staff and key lay volunteers (e.g., SS Superintendent and SS teachers) to support Children’s Ministry areas (curriculum, staffing and volunteers) for:
- Regular Programs such as Sunday school (Age 2 through 6th grade), Worship time for Small Talk and Children’s Church; Small Group/Sunday night activities; Special Events like VBS, Infant Baptism, Confirmation, Bible Presentation to Elementary Ages, Christmas parade, and summer programs.
- Development and implementation of new programs (e.g. Parent’s Night Out) relative to the needs of children and their families, including short-term and long-term goals for a vital and healthy ministry.
- Assistance to the Director of Nursery to secure, train, and equip Nursery Workers for the above activities.
- Responsible for communicating, enforcing, and supporting the Child Protection Policy of First United Methodist Church to all staff and lay volunteers
- Coordinate Children’s Ministry programs and activities, cooperate alongside other key Ministry areas like Youth, Family, etc.; be actively involved in weekly worship and other church-wide activities; also work alongside District and Conference programs/events such as Lakeshore, Children’s camps, Annual Conference activities, etc.
- Serve as Staff Liaison to Preschool Board and to work with Preschool Director to ensure we foster connection between Preschool and overall FUMC Ministries.
- Serve as Program Coordinator and Staff Liaison for our Upward® program.
- Other tasks as assigned by clergy, in conjunction with the Discipleship Team.
- This staff member reports to FUMC Pastor, and works in conjunction with the Discipleship Team and other designated members of FUMC Staff.
- This person will work approximately 20 hours/week, primarily on FUMC campus, and in conjunction with typical schedule of Children’s Ministry activities and volunteers. May perform certain work at home as agreed upon by clergy and /or SPRC Team.
- Mature Christian character with a solid theological foundation and a desire for ministry.
- Be familiar with and appreciate Wesleyan Theology and United Methodist resources.
- Demonstrate ability to recruit, motivate, train, empower, and supervise others.
- Commitment to a team approach to ministry.
- Ability to plan for and manage financial resources.
- Good written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with and ability to utilize available tech resources.
- Ability to self-direct and multi-task.
- Ability to relate to/with children of all ages as well as their guardians/parents/grandparents.
- How to Apply: